The definition of etiquette is “the customary code of polite behaviour in society or among members of a particular profession or group.”
Many individuals and businesses are today using social media. However, is everyone using it properly? Are we all following the same rules and guidelines? Many are not so hence me writing this blog.
So what do I mean by etiquette? I mean liking and sharing, why do it, what to post, when not to post, using hashtags and so on.
Social Media etiquette
- Like and share posts – be genuine though.
- Liking and sharing is like a thumbs up/a nod to your peers, customers etc
- When not to post – if its inappropriate or conflict of interest or if you are out/under the influence or if it could come across as unprofessional
- Remember to use hashtags or #. Common ones are #marketingmonday, #mondaymotivation, #fanpagefriday, #throwbackthursday
Used to identify messages on a specific topic
- Use them correctly or you will not get the benefit!
- Do not include spaces
- Keep them relevant – have a quick search online to find popular hashtags for your market
- They can be used anywhere in a post as they can form part of the sentence
- By clicking on a hashtag you will see other tweets with that hashtag too