So you have new meeting lined up with a potential new client or customer. What do you do? How do you prepare? Do you leave the meeting to chance or do you prepare in advance?
My advice here is simple. If you are planning to maximise from this meeting and secure some future business, then PREPARE.
- do your research on the client and the company.
- think about questions you will want to ask such as why have they decided now to contact you? or how are they finding business in this current market?
- think about any material you may wish to handout e.g. business card, flyer, brochure etc?
- will you need to present some slides or is it more informal?
- who exactly is attending the meeting
- plan your route and timings to make sure you are not late.
Assuming the meeting goes well, always follow up in a few days time with a phone call orr email. Add the contact to your database and keep the relationship going.
Business deals don’s always happen overnight, so you may have to play the long game, so maintaining a constant line of contact is vital. But remember not to badger and overwhelm new leads.