Why is this? High Wycombe based Sygnus Office Partnership explains how a tidy office can increase productivity and output.
As December looms and colleagues, suppliers and customers go into “we will deal with/look at that after Christmas” mode, now is the ideal time to de clutter your desk and make some change. Make being tidy in the office and being more productive one of your business New Year’s resolutions for 2012.
If you are fed up with not being able to find things on your desk or if the things you need to do your job are not within easy reach, then it is time for a change a round. Not only can tidying be therapeutic, but you will find long lost items and set yourself for an industrious work life.
Here are 10 top tips on how to being tidy at work:
- Tidy your desk by throwing away unwanted papers, broken pens, out of date calendars etc.
- Buy a pen pot for your essentials like your pens, calculator, stapler, staples etc.
- Make sure your desk has sufficient drawer space for essential items like spare paper and spare company stationery etc. Buy a desk drawer if needed to keep things more organised.
- Clear space on your desk or a neighbouring desk for the equipment you use a lot like a printer or copier or binder.
- Buy a bin to sit under your desk.
- Buy a shredder to help stop old and out of date paperwork lying around.
- Review your storage and filing areas. Do they have shelving when you actually use hanging files? Are the shelves spaced out correctly for your needs?
- Make the most of unused areas within the office like empty cupboards or unoccupied meeting space. An unused meeting room could be a new office for a manager for example.
- Have a move around within the office to help re organise things better. This change around could be moving people to better suited areas or moving furniture to be better used somewhere else.
- Ask a professional to help and advice on your office move before you buy or lease any furniture. A well thought out office move can save you money and time as well as increasing motivation and productivity. Having a systematic way of working not only helps you find things more easily, but it will help you become less hassled, and it will stop you wasting your precious time.
Visual neatness is important to create an ambience of calm. An office space that is pleasing on the eye to you and your colleagues can also create a great first impression to visitors and clients coming into the office.
If you don’t have a lot of the furniture items you might need like additional cupboard space or storage space, you can change the office layout and borrow furniture or ideally, you can buy the items needed. Remember you can always buy second hand or sometimes lease it, if budget is an issue.
Here’s to a de cluttered and dynamic 2012.
This has been a Guest blog. If you have something to say, then be my guest. Email me …