So, you have decided to go down the self employed route as a consultant, contractor or freelancer. Welcome!
Now that you have made this leap, you now need to ensure that you secure business for yourself. This business could come from agencies or from clients directly, but either way, you need to present yourself, your business and your offering in the most positive way possible.
11 top tips:
- Update your CV and skills. Use keywords for your market
- Get yourself a business card
- Design and build a website and blog for yourself (read about my packages for these here)
- Get out there and Network
- Look online for contract opportunities
- Register with relevant agencies
- Write and send some speculative emails
- Stay in touch with existing clients and maintain your profile
- Collaborate with others
- Develop good relationships with all
- Remember to SELL your BENEFITS, not just the features e.g. the feature could be you are great at project management, but the all important benefit could be that this skill will save a company £1000 in wasted budget over the length of the project